1980s DOUGLAS DC-2s

A selection of my photographs of the few remaining DC-2s, plus a welcome visiting DC-2

Essendon Airport, Melbourne November 1984. RAAF DC-2 A30-9 under restoration by a group headed by warbird pilot
Jack McDonald. Acquired after the war by Marshall Airways, the aircraft had been in stored in the open weather around
Sydney ever since. Sadly work stopped when corrosion found in the centre-section ended hopes of the DC-2 flying. It was
stored at Tyabb before donated in 2006 to the Australian National Aviation Museum at Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne

Another long-stored Marshall Airways DC-2 ex RAAF A30-11 was restored for a memorial at Albury Airport NSW, seen in
August 1984. It commemorates the successful emergency landing of KLM DC-2 PH-AJU Uiver on the Albury racecourse
lit up at night by the cars during the 1934 Centenary Air Race from London to Melbourne

Marshall Airways' DC-2 VH-CDZ was retired at Bankstown in 1958 and stored until acquired in 1972 by American R. Rosser
who intended to fly it to USA. N8486D was reserved but the rebuild was discontinued and it is seen here out in the weather
 at Bankstown in April 1974.   In the early 1980s it was taken over by the Australian Wing of the Confederate Air Force.

VH-CDZ in the back of a Bankstown hangar in January 1989, after another planned rebuild was discontinued, reportedly
because of airframe damage sustained in a hangar accident.  It is still there unmoved.           Photo by Dion Makowski

In February 1984, the last airworthy DC-2 in USA N39165 was used to make a commemoration flight along the 1934 London to Melbourne
      Air Race route. It was painted as KLM's PH-AJU Uiver  to celebrate that airliner;s success in the race, winning the handicap section.

            I took these photos on 5 February 1984 at RAAF Laverton, where the original KLM DC-2 landed at the end of the 1934 race.

The DC-2's grand arrival at Laverton, with Keith Meggs flying the Cessna 210 with camera crew

N39165 really looked the part as it blew up dust while taxying to the welcoming ceremony

The Dutch community of Melbourne turned out to welcome the DC-2 at Laverton

I told you before, get back behind the barrier. Hazards of photography on a RAAF base. The guard dog didn't like me either.
Photo by Dave Prossor

The DC-2 stayed for several hours, then departed for the short flight to Essendon Airport

A gaggle of Tiger Moths and Austers took part in the Laverton event

Starting the Wright Cyclones was a classic round engine affair with clouds of oil smoke

N39165 made a farewell flypast for the Laverton crowd

Back to the Photographs Menu